Montag, 20. Dezember 2010

Marsha Altman: The Darcys & the Bingleys

After it was finally possible to download Kindle ebooks on Jane Austen's birthday, I immediately had to start to read them. I downloaded four of the ten Sourcebooks novels.

Here is the list of titles that were available:

    * Eliza’s Daughter by Joan Aiken
    * The Darcys & the Bingleys by Marsha Altman
    * Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife by Linda Berdoll
    * What Would Jane Austen Do? by Laurie Brown
    * The Pemberley Chronicles by Rebecca Ann Collins
    * The Other Mr. Darcy by Monica Fairview
    * Mr. Darcy’s Diary by Amanda Grange
    * Mr. & Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy: Two Shall Become One by Sharon Lathan
    * Lydia Bennet’s Story by Jane Odiwe
    * Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy by Abigail Reynolds

I have already read the Linda Berdoll book, as well as the Sharon Lathan sequels. They are available in my local library, like some other sequels. I have read them all, I admit. But the two books above are not to my liking. But I don't want to comment, as tastes are different!

Two other books I have already read and love, are Jane Odiwe's novel and Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange. I have them as Paperbacks and would have loved to have them on my Kindle too. But they weren't available in my region. As was the case with Joan Aikens sequel. I couldn't figure out how to download the Google Books, so I missed them; all the other file versions are of no use, because I don't like to read on PC.

Finally I bought:

    * The Darcys & the Bingleys by Marsha Altman
    * The Pemberley Chronicles by Rebecca Ann Collins
    * The Other Mr. Darcy by Monica Fairview
    * Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy by Abigail Reynolds

I finished 'The Darcy's and the Bingleys' on Saturday, reading it through in almost one day. And I love it! It was funny, entertaining, well written, witty, very Jane Austen-ish and addictive. So the series must be bought in it's whole. I'm not sure yet, if I will buy them all as ebooks or as paperbacks...

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

What I like about the Kindle is the 'Notes & Marks' option and therefore I want to list my favourite passages. As there are only Locations, I will refer to them. All rights are of course those of the author, Marsha Altman, and of Sourcebooks (with a wonderful service team btw!):

[Darcy to Elizabeth] Loc. 395 - 'Elizabeth, the best thing I can think of to say is that if there was no fun to be had of it at all, the world would not be nearly so populated.'

[Mr Bennet to his daughters before their wedding] Loc. 1088 - If you are to have children, do make sure the servants have your husbands sitting down.'

[Darcy to Col. Fitzwilliam before the wedding and after he and Bingley have thrown Wickham out of a second storey window] Loc. 1129 - 'Oh no,' Darcy said, 'Enough people have gone out the window today. Lead on, Fitzwilliam.'

[Mrs Gardiner to her husband and his reply] Loc. 1144 - 'I am so very glad we visited the grounds of Pemberley.' 'Yes, the fishing was exquisite.'

[about Bingley] Loc. 1255 - He had that dashing young 'I am so exciting, my hair is tryng to escape from my head, and it is a hopeless case' unintentional style that was so adorable.'

[Bingley to Jane] Loc. 1422 - 'Jane, dearest, I could never say no to you', he added, 'And I have a feeling that you know it.'

[Lizzie to Darcy about writing to her mother according to tell her Lizzie's with child] Loc. 1477 - Will you do me a favour of writing her a quick response that I am and that she should stop asking?' 'Anything you - what?'

[Mr Bennet arriving at Pemberley] Loc. 1558 - Even far away from the entrance, he took off his hat as if he were entering church.'

[Darcy about Georgiana] Loc. 1766 - 'She'll be 17 when I damn well say she is!'

[Darcy to Lizzie about his contribution in creating their son] Loc. 1843 - 'All the work?' he said. 'There was at least... an hour of my time spent on... this,' he said, cradling his son.

[a muddleheaded Darcy in response to Lizzie's and Bingley's question if he wants to marry Miss Caroline Bingley] Loc. 3053 - 'What? He blinked. 'No! No... he's a nice man, but no. I'm too tall for him.'

[about Caroline and Dr Maddox standing in the hallway alone] Loc. 3164 - ... 'which was most improper for two unmarried adults of oppostite genders and a great deal of affection.'

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

2009-2012 Emmeline Cartwright. Powered by Blogger.

© Research Blog, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena