Montag, 11. Oktober 2010

Review: G. Heyer - The Black Moth

I'm not a great review writer. Nevertheless I wanted to write about the first Georgette Heyer Book I have read*. I came across this author via you twitter guys and had to try if I liked her. On various blogs I read that the first experience of a Heyer book will either lead to love her or just not. When I started the Black Moth, which I got as an ebook, I had no idea what to expect. I hardly knew in which time it was set. Only until I reached the end of the first half of the novel I got to know. The hints she dropped then were unmistakably. The Pompadour, Elizabeth Gunning... There! Finally got it. But all the while reading the first half and being kind of in the dark, I dressed the characters in the right fashion. I have to reread it though, as I apparently skipped the prologue. But it might have been the Kindle that switched to the first chapter...
Another extraordinary fact Georgette Heyer's book had upon me, that I really had not the slightest clue where the plot was leading to. I didnt read any reviews or a single synopsis. Being puzzled until the story really started in the second half I wondered about her strange way of writing and plotting. But now, seriously!, I love it and adore her.
My favourite part is in chapter, ah, let me get the Kindle to check...., is in chapter 24: 'Richard plays the Man'. "You shall not leave me! Do you understand? I cannot live without you!" ... ""Oh, please, please forgive me and keep me with you!" - - - They are so wonderful. I quite resented her childish ways in the beginning, then I pitied her enormously, but meanwhile I quite like her. The Belmanoirs are an interesting lot, especially Tracy, of whom I would love to read a sequel. Is there one? I have no idea, because Georgette Heyer wrote so many books. Presently I will write a list and try to get my hands on her work asap.

Update: Just saw, that the story is continued in 'These old Shades'.
1921 - The Black Moth
1926 - These Old Shades
1932 - Devil's Cub
1937 - An Infamous Army

* It was her first novel. Stunning, did not expect that!

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

2009-2012 Emmeline Cartwright. Powered by Blogger.

© Research Blog, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena